Apple iPad: a Realtor's Dream Tool | NYC Co-op Apartment Sales
NY coops and cooperative apartment sales: prices, buyers, sellers, details, and deals
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Apple iPad: a Realtor’s Dream Marketing Tool

The new Apple iPad is a realtor’s dream.

No previous technology — absolutely nothing — appears to come close to helping realtors sign new clients and showcase New York City co-op and condo apartments in such a snazzy, portable package.

The Apple iPad

You can hop on the subway or take a cab to your busy client’s home or office, and showcase potential dream homes for your clients in delicious, vibrant color.

Of course, for realtors using the Apple gadget to market their wares, the iPad and monthly data fees should be tax-decuctible business expenses (Note: check with your accountant to be sure).

It’s one thing to open up your 3-6 pound notebook computer to show properties, but the iPad will offer an entirely user-friendly perspective.

You’ll be opening up full-color photos of co-ops and condos that you’ve either pre-selected in advance of your meeting, or just downloaded moments before. Unlike the iPhone, photos on the iPad will be huge.

Imagine hearing “Ooohs” and “Aaahs” from clients and other brokers as they look at the photos of your exclusive. Then take it to the next level: just put the iPad in their hands.

It’s like the car dealer closing getting the deal with the customer after giving them the pen — you leave it in their hands. Let them be the decisionmaker. The moment you try and take the pen away after you just put it in their hand, you’ve jeopardized the sale. The same thing with the iPad.

Let clients and other brokers scroll through the details of the apartment. Watch them pass it back and forth to one another. WIth huge images, the ability to watch a YouTube or Quicktime video, and browse a PDF of detailed comps for other co-ops, the buyer (and seller that you’re trying to sign) will feel like they are in control.

That feeling is empowering, and the iPad can help you make it happen.

If there is one key drawback, however, it’s probably the lack of Flash support for existing collateral that you may already be using.

Realtors: if you plan to use the iPad, comment below and talk about your decision.

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [del.icio.us] [Facebook] [Technorati] [Google] [StumbleUpon] Sphere: Related Content

11 comments

1 Darren Schwartzkopf { 02.09.10 at 1:56 pm }

I can see the ability to pull current MLS info for buyers while previewing properties a big plus – how many time has your client asked for comps and or tax info and you did not print it. I am tired of paper and that whole impact. I also see the keynote app really big for listing presentations. I hope someone will come up with an app to track your mileage, clients and properties view in a single location via an app….

2 Co-op Board { 02.11.10 at 1:10 pm }

So are you going to get an iPad, Darren?

You might want to try the Filemarker app (http://www.fmtouch.com/), the king of all database apps that you can set up to keep track of all this stuff for current and prospective clients

3 Pipi { 02.24.10 at 10:03 pm }

I’m definitely going to buy an iPad to close deals with current clients, and win new clients.

It’s chic and practical.

4 Sandra { 03.12.10 at 3:47 pm }

I want to buy one, the only thing holding me back is being able to sign contracts from the Ipad. I currently use the redtablet and having the ability to have your clients sign the contracts on the spot might make the difference between getting the job or not.

5 Karin { 03.21.10 at 3:57 pm }

I’ve preordered one and I’m dying for it to get here! As Sandra said, the ability to sign contracts on the screen would be fantastic. But if not I’m using Docusign so I can create the contract online, email it to the client via Docusign, and they can electronically sign it right then and there. Now I’m on the hunt for the perfect leather folio case that will look professional but protect it from dings and drops.

6 Chris O'Connor { 03.25.10 at 11:28 pm }

My biggest desires are to be able to access MLS on an iPAd, which would require the use of Internet Explorer. Does the iPad allow IE to run? Also, I want to have all of the main contracts stores in my iPad memory so they’re always at the ready. Does anyone know if you can print by simplifying attaching a USB cord to the iPad and then to a printer?

7 Co-op Board { 03.26.10 at 12:04 am }

The iPad would never run IE, and you wouldn’t want it to either. Apple’s Safari browser can import your IE bookmarks, passwords, etc.

Printing seems unclear, however.

There should be some way to print using a wireless printer, or a printer plugged into a wireless router.

As soon as its released, I’d go to your nearest Apple store and get the answer from their salespeople. Have ‘em demo it and walk you through step-by-step.

8 Chris H { 04.05.10 at 8:40 pm }

What the Ipad really needs is the ability to access the internet while in the car. Then we’d be able to pull up the MLS mapping app that’s tied to the GPS so you can see homes available for sale while you are passing a sign. This solves the age old problem of the client asking “What the deal on that house” as you drive by on the way to your showing apt. Would also be a great toy for your clients to play with while driving. Will the Ipad ever have mobile access to the internet?

9 Dawn B { 04.06.10 at 12:45 pm }

I will purchase my iPad next week. I store my contract in Relay’s document management system. It’s web based, doesn’t use flash and stores pdf’s among other files. I think I can pull contracts that way. Apple also has mobile me. Verizon has a tool called My Wi-fi that I think will work w/the iPad. That’s one way to get mobile browsing. It’s also supposed to be more secure than public wi-fi (which scares me) and you can use it on the iPad(I think) and your exisiting laptop from any location. I haven’t put it to use yet. But it sounds good on paper!

10 An Bui, DocuSign Social Media { 04.07.10 at 1:46 pm }

Sandra, you can still sign contracts with the iPad – I recently wrote a blog post about using eSign on the iPad (http://www.docusign.com/blog/2010/04/05/want-to-use-esign-from-docusign-on-your-apple-ipad/)

MiFi from Verizon (Sprint offers a similar service) means that you can get your own secured mobile wifi on the iPad without being tied to ATT. The iPads with 3G data will be on the ATT network, so opting for the wifi only iPad and supplementing it with MiFi means that your wireless won’t be tied to the iPad – you can use your MiFi with other devices / laptops too!

11 Jordan { 12.14.10 at 10:40 am }

Our product, StoryDesk, makes it super simple to bring to life properties on the iPad

Check it out: